What Are the Long-Term Effects of Brain Swelling?
It's common to have lingering effects from brain swelling. The problems you notice depend on the severity as well as the location of the injury. Symptoms may be noticed with any of the following:
- Thinking and attention skills
- Communication skills
Your health care team is available to help you deal with these challenges. While some problems may continue to diminish over time, others may require ongoing treatment.
How Can I Protect my Head?
To protect the brain, keep these tips in mind as you go about your daily activities.
- Use a helmet when biking, skating, playing contact sports, or performing other activities in which you might fall and hit your head.
- Wear seat belts properly when driving or riding in vehicles.
- Make sure you are doing all you can to control high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Avoid smoking.
- When traveling to high elevations, take your time -- allow your body to adjust to the altitude.