Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What are your symptoms?
- When did they begin?
- Did they
begin suddenly or come on gradually?
- Do your symptoms fluctuate or
come and go?
- Do you have other symptoms with the confusion,
memory loss, or decreased alertness?
- Have you had these symptoms
before? If so, what was the diagnosis? When and how were your symptoms
- Are you on a special diet? What do you eat for breakfast,
lunch, and dinner?
- Have you had any recent head
- What prescription or nonprescription medicines do you
take? Bring a complete list of all your medicines to your
- Do you often feel extremely sleepy during the
- Have you or another family member ever had a mental health
problem, such as
depression or an
- Have any of your family
members been diagnosed with a disease that causes confusion or memory loss,
Alzheimer's disease or
- Have you been ill or
- Have you recently traveled outside of the
- How much alcohol do you drink? How often? When did
you have your last drink?
- Do you use any illegal drugs? If so,
which ones? How often? When did you last use drugs? Do you swallow, inhale, or
inject the drugs?
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
January 07, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.