Skip to content

    Breast Cancer Health Center

    Font Size

    Breast Cancer - When To Call a Doctor

    Call your doctor if you have:

    • A painless lump in your breast or armpit.
    • A change in the size or shape of the breast.
    • Changes in the skin of the breast, such as a dimple or skin that looks like an orange peel.
    • A change in the nipple, such as scaling of the skin, a nipple that turns in, or discharge or bleeding.
    • A change in the color or feel of the skin around the nipple.

    Who to see

    Health professionals who can perform a breast exam include the following:

    Mammograms are usually read by radiologists.

    You may see a general surgeon, a breast surgeon, or a radiologist if further evaluation of a breast problem is needed.

    Breast cancer is treated by surgeons, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists.

    To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

    WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

    Last Updated: November 14, 2014
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    Breast Cancer Overview
    From mammograms to living after treatment.
    Dealing with breast cancer
    Get answers to your questions.
    woman having mammogram
    The 3 latest tips to know.
    woman undergoing breast cancer test
    Most abnormalities aren’t breast cancer.
    Resolved To Quit Smoking
    Breast Cancer Treatments Improving
    Woman getting mammogram
    Screening Tests for Women
    serious woman
    Pink badge on woman chest to support breat cancer
    what is your cancer risk
    breast cancer survivors