Childhood Ependymoma Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Childhood Ependymoma
Craniotomy: An opening is made in the skull and a piece of the skull is removed to show part of the brain.
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on:
- Whether cancer cells remain after surgery.
- The type of ependymoma and whether it begins in the brain or in the spinal cord.
- The age of the child when the tumor is diagnosed.
- Whether the cancer has spread to other parts of the central nervous system, such as the meninges (membranes covering the brain) and the spinal cord.
- Whether the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, such as the bone or lung.
- Whether the tumor has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).