Who is Eligible to Participate in a CML Clinical Trial?
The researchers who put together clinical trials decide who is eligible to participate. These are some of the factors that may determine whether or not you are eligible:
- Your age
- The phase of your CML – whether chronic, accelerated, or blast crisis
- The treatments you are taking or have taken in the past
- Any other illnesses or conditions you may have
In many cases, patients will need to have tried standard treatment first. That's especially true, because treatment for CML has become more effective in recent years. But you should know that not all clinical trials are for advanced disease alone.
Should You Participate in a CML Clinical Trial?
This is not always an easy decision. You might be considering a clinical trial because other treatment has failed, or perhaps you need relief from side effects of complications that are responding to standard treatment.
Start by talking with your doctor, who can help you understand the pros and cons of participating in a clinical trial, and who may refer you to some possible trials. Your doctor and medical center may be involved in a CML clinical trial for which you are eligible.
In addition, ask yourself these questions:
- What do I expect from a clinical trial? Do I have realistic expectations?
- Are my doctor and I clear about the risks and benefits of participating?
- Are other treatment options available that I should explore first?
- Are time and money an issue?
- How will my daily life be affected?
- Am I well enough to participate in a clinical trial?
Where to Learn More about CML Clinical Trials
Here are some resources to help you learn more:
- Developed by the Coalition of Cancer Cooperative Groups, the TrialCheck database is the most comprehensive database of cancer clinical trials. Call 1-800-303-5691.
- You can also get a list of current clinical trials at the National Cancer Institute. Call 1-800-4-CANCER or www.cancer.gov and click on "Clinical Trials."
- EmergingMed provides a free matching and referral service.