CML Treatment: Time to Consider a Clinical Trial?
Should You Join? continued...
Be sure you have realistic expectations about participating in a clinical trial and that you understand the risks and benefits.
Your doctor can help you understand and work out the pros and cons. He may be able to refer you to some trials. Ask about other treatment options to try first.
Then ask yourself these questions:
- How will my daily life be affected?
- Am I well enough to participate?
- Are time and money likely to be a problem?
Where to Learn More about CML Clinical Trials
Here are some resources to help you learn more:
- Developed by the Coalition of Cancer Cooperative Groups, the TrialCheck database is the most comprehensive database of cancer clinical trials. Call 1-800-303-5691.
- You can also get a list of current clinical trials at the National Cancer Institute. Call 1-800-4-CANCER or visit the National Cancer Institute's web site and click on "Clinical Trials."
- EmergingMed provides a free matching and referral service.