Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
There are many different types of lymphoma.
Lymphomas are divided into two general types: Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This summary is about the treatment of adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma. For information about other types of lymphoma, see the following PDQ summaries:
Waldenström macroglobulinemia is a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Waldenström macroglobulinemia begins in a type of white blood cell called B lymphocytes. Certain B lymphocytes multiply out of control and make large amounts of a protein called monoclonal immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibody. High levels of IgM in the blood cause the blood to thicken and leads to many of the symptoms of Waldenström macroglobulinemia. Waldenström macroglobulinemia is also called lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma.
Age, gender, and a weakened immune system can affect the risk of adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Anything that increases your risk of getting a disease is called a risk factor. Having a risk factor does not mean that you will get cancer; not having risk factors doesn't mean that you will not get cancer. Talk with your doctor if you think you may be at risk. Risk factors for adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma include the following:
- Being older, male, or white.
- Having one of the following medical conditions:
- Taking immunosuppressant drugs after an organ transplant.
- Being exposed to certain pesticides.
- A diet high in meats and fat.
- Past treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma.
Signs and symptoms of adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma include fever, sweating, weight loss, and fatigue.
These and other signs and symptoms may be caused by adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma or by other conditions. Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
- Painless swelling in the lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, groin, or stomach.
- Fever for no known reason.
- Drenching night sweats.
- Feeling very tired.
- Weight loss for no known reason.
- Skin rash or itchy skin.
- Pain in the chest, abdomen, or bones for no known reason.