Cancer: Home Treatment for Pain - Topic Overview
Not all forms of cancer or cancer treatment cause pain. If pain
occurs, many treatments are available to relieve it. If your health
professional has given you instructions or medicines to treat pain, be sure to
follow them. Home treatment may help to reduce pain and improve your physical
and mental well-being. Be sure to discuss any home treatment you may use with
your health professional.
For more information, see the topic Cancer Pain.
| Be sure to follow these safety tips
when you use an over-the-counter medicine:|
- Carefully read and follow all directions
on the medicine bottle and box.
- Do not use more than the
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an
allergic reaction to it in the past.
you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take
- If you are or could be pregnant, call your doctor before you
take any medicine.
- Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than age 20 unless your doctor tells you to.
Other home treatments for pain include:
- Heat and cold packs, to relieve painful
areas of the body.
- Stretching and range-of-motion exercises, to
maintain strength, flexibility, and mobility.
You may wish to try one of the alternative therapies listed below. Be
sure to talk with your health professional about which therapies might be best
for you. For more information, see the topic Complementary Medicine.