Untreated Metastatic Squamous Neck Cancer With Occult Primary
Standard treatment options:
- Radical neck dissection.
- Radiation therapy.[5,6] Intensity-modulated radiation therapy may have less short- and long-term toxicity than conventional radiation therapy in terms of xerostomia, acute dysphagia, and skin fibrosis.[7,8]
- Combined surgery and radiation therapy.
Treatment options under clinical evaluation:
- Chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy.
- Simultaneous chemotherapy and hyperfractionated radiation therapy.
- Clinical trials for advanced tumors should be considered.
Current Clinical Trials
Check for U.S. clinical trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials that are now accepting patients with untreated metastatic squamous neck cancer with occult primary. The list of clinical trials can be further narrowed by location, drug, intervention, and other criteria.
General information about clinical trials is also available from the NCI Web site.
- Consensus conference. Magnetic resonance imaging. JAMA 259 (14): 2132-8, 1988.
- Rege S, Maass A, Chaiken L, et al.: Use of positron emission tomography with fluorodeoxyglucose in patients with extracranial head and neck cancers. Cancer 73 (12): 3047-58, 1994.
- Turner SL, Tiver KW, Boyages SC: Thyroid dysfunction following radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 31 (2): 279-83, 1995.
- Constine LS: What else don't we know about the late effects of radiation in patients treated for head and neck cancer? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 31 (2): 427-9, 1995.
- Carlson LS, Fletcher GH, Oswald MJ: Guidelines for radiotherapeutic techniques for cervical metastases from an unknown primary. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 12 (12): 2101-10, 1986.
- Mack Y, Parsons JT, Mendenhall WM, et al.: Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: management after excisional biopsy of a solitary metastatic neck node. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 25 (4): 619-22, 1993.
- Madani I, Vakaet L, Bonte K, et al.: Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for cervical lymph node metastases from unknown primary cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71 (4): 1158-66, 2008.
- Sher DJ, Balboni TA, Haddad RI, et al.: Efficacy and toxicity of chemoradiotherapy using intensity-modulated radiotherapy for unknown primary of head and neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80 (5): 1405-11, 2011.
- Maulard C, Housset M, Brunel P, et al.: Postoperative radiation therapy for cervical lymph node metastases from an occult squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope 102 (8): 884-90, 1992.
- Thyss A, Schneider M, Santini J, et al.: Induction chemotherapy with cis-platinum and 5-fluorouracil for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Br J Cancer 54 (5): 755-60, 1986.
- Weissler MC, Melin S, Sailer SL, et al.: Simultaneous chemoradiation in the treatment of advanced head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 118 (8): 806-10, 1992.