Hydrazine Sulfate (PDQ®): Complementary and alternative medicine - Health Professional Information [NCI] - Laboratory / Animal / Preclinical Studies
Hydrazine sulfate has also been tested in combination with drugs that affect the uptake of glucose by cells. The combination of hydrazine sulfate and phloretin, a drug that blocks glucose uptake, showed greater activity against FBCa bladder cancer tumors in rats than was found with hydrazine sulfate alone; however, this combination did not exhibit enhanced antitumor activity against 13762NF mammary adenocarcinomas in rats. When hydrazine sulfate was combined with the drug phloridzin, which is similar to phloretin, using the same two tumor models, no increase in anticancer activity was observed. When hydrazine sulfate was combined with the drug phenformin, which increases glucose uptake by cells (and lowers blood glucose levels), enhanced antitumor activity against Walker 256 carcinosarcomas in rats was observed.
In the 1980s, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) conducted preclinical studies of hydrazine sulfate as a single agent, using many of the animal tumor models described above. With the exception of borderline activity against Walker 256 carcinosarcomas in rats, no evidence of antitumor activity was found. Reviewed in  In view of these results, NCI recommended against further evaluation of hydrazine sulfate as an anticancer agent. Reviewed in  However, clinical investigation of this compound continued, largely because of its potential as a treatment for cancer-related anorexia and cachexia.
- Bhide SV, D'Souza RA, Sawai MM, et al.: Lung tumour incidence in mice treated with hydrazine sulphate. Int J Cancer 18 (4): 530-5, 1976.
- Severi L, Biancifiori C: Hepatic carcinogenesis in CBA-Cb-Se mice and Cb-Se rats by isonicotinic acid hydrazide and hydrazine sulfate. J Natl Cancer Inst 41 (2): 331-49, 1968.
- Toth B: Lung tumor induction and inhibition of breast adenocarcinomas by hydrazine sulfate in mice. J Natl Cancer Inst 42 (3): 469-75, 1969.
- Menon MM, Bhide SV: Perinatal carcinogenicity of isoniazid (INH) in Swiss mice. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 105 (3): 258-61, 1983.
- Biancifiori C, Giornelli-Santilli FE, Milia U, et al.: Pulmonary tumours in rats induced by oral hydrazine sulphate. Nature 212 (60): 414-5, 1966.
- Toth B: Tumorigenesis studies with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine dihydrochloride, hydrazine sulfate, and isonicotinic acid in golden hamsters. Cancer Res 32 (4): 804-7, 1972.
- Shimizu H, Toth B: Effect of lifetime administration of 2-hydroxyethylhydrazine on tumorigenesis in hamsters and mice. J Natl Cancer Inst 52 (3): 903-6, 1974.
- Maru GB, Bhide SV: Effect of antioxidants and antitoxicants of isoniazid on the formation of lung tumours in mice by isoniazid and hydrazine sulphate. Cancer Lett 17 (1): 75-80, 1982.
- Bosan WS, Shank RC, MacEwen JD, et al.: Methylation of DNA guanine during the course of induction of liver cancer in hamsters by hydrazine or dimethylnitrosamine. Carcinogenesis 8 (3): 439-44, 1987.
- Toth B: Synthetic and naturally occurring hydrazines as possible cancer causative agents. Cancer Res 35 (12): 3693-7, 1975.
- National Toxicology Program.: Hydrazine and hydrazine sulfate. Rep Carcinog 10: 138-9, 2002.
- Gold J: Inhibition of Walker 256 intramuscular carcinoma in rats by administration of hydrazine sulfate. Oncology 25 (1): 66-71, 1971.
- Gold J: Inhibition by hydrazine sulfate and various hydrazides, of in vivo growth of Walker 256 intramuscular carcinoma, B-16 melanoma, Murphy-Sturm lymphosarcoma and L-1210 solid leukemia. Oncology 27 (1): 69-80, 1973.
- Gold J: Enhancement by hydrazine sulfate of antitumor effectiveness of cytoxan, mitomycin C, methotrexate and bleomycin, in walker 256 carcinosarcoma in rats. Oncology 31 (1): 44-53, 1975.
- Gold J: Potentiation by clofibrate of in-vivo tumor inhibition by hydrazine sulfate and cytotoxic agents, in Walker 256 carcinosarcoma. Cancer Biochem Biophys 3 (1): 41-5, 1978.
- Dilman VM, Anisimov VN: Potentiation of antitumor effect of cyclophosphamide and hydrazine sulfate by treatment with the antidiabetic agent, 1-phenylethylbiguanide (phenformin). Cancer Lett 7 (6): 357-61, 1979.
- Nelson JA, Falk RE: The efficacy of phloridzin and phloretin on tumor cell growth. Anticancer Res 13 (6A): 2287-92, 1993 Nov-Dec.
- Kamradt JM, Pienta KJ: The effect of hydrazine sulfate on prostate cancer growth. Oncol Rep 5 (4): 919-21, 1998 Jul-Aug.
- Henney JE: Unproven methods of cancer treatment. In: DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, eds.: Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: JB Lippincott Company, 1985, pp 2333-44.