Childhood Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Childhood Hodgkin Lymphoma
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:
- The stage of the cancer.
- The size of the tumor.
- The type of Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Whether there are B symptoms at diagnosis.
- Certain features of the cancer cells.
- Whether there are too many white blood cells or too few red blood cells at diagnosis.
- How well the tumor responds to initial treatment with chemotherapy.
- Whether the cancer is newly diagnosed or has recurred (come back).
The treatment options also depend on:
- The child's age and gender.
- The risk of long-term side effects.
Most children and teenagers with newly diagnosed Hodgkin lymphoma can be cured.