General Information About Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options may depend on:
- Age at diagnosis and race.
- How quickly and how low the leukemia cell count drops after initial treatment.
- Whether the leukemia cells began from B lymphocytes or T lymphocytes.
- Whether there are certain changes in the chromosomes of lymphocytes.
- Whether the leukemia has spread to the brain and spinal cord.
- Whether the child has Down syndrome.
If leukemia recurs (comes back) after initial treatment, the prognosis and treatment options may depend on:
- How long it is between the end of initial treatment and when the leukemia recurs.
- Whether the leukemia recurs in the bone marrow or outside the bone marrow.