Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:
- Where in the body the tumor started.
- The width of the tumor when the cancer was diagnosed.
- Whether the tumor has been completely removed by surgery.
- Whether the tumor has spread to nearby lymph nodes or distant parts of the body.
- Whether there are certain changes in the genes.
- The type of rhabdomyosarcoma.
- The patient's age and general health.
- Whether the tumor has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).
For patients with recurrent cancer, prognosis and treatment depend on the following:
- Where in the body the tumor recurred (came back).
- Whether the tumor was treated with radiation therapy.
- The size of the tumor when the cancer was diagnosed.
- How much time passed between the end of cancer treatment and when the cancer recurred.