Essiac/Flor Essence (PDQ®): Complementary and alternative medicine - Patient Information [NCI] - Overview
- Essiac and Flor Essence are herbal tea mixtures that are sold worldwide as health tonics or herbal dietary supplements (see Question 1).
- Essiac was first promoted as a cancer treatment in the 1920s. Flor Essence was created a number of years later (see Question 2).
- Supporters of Essiac and Flor Essence say that these products make the immune system stronger, have anti-inflammatory effects, and show anticancer activity (see Question 3).
- Laboratory, animal, and clinical (human) studies with Essiac and Flor Essence have not reported clear evidence of an anticancer effect (see Question 5 and Question 6).
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved Essiac or Flor Essence as a cancer treatment (see Question 8).
WebMD Public Information from the National Cancer Institute
February 25, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
Essiac/Flor Essence (PDQ®): Complementary and alternative medicine - Patient Information [NCI] Topics