Pituitary Tumors Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Pituitary Tumors
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) depends on the type of tumor and whether the tumor has spread into other areas of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) or outside of the central nervous system to other parts of the body.
Treatment options depend on the following:
- The type and size of the tumor.
- Whether the tumor is making hormones.
- Whether the tumor is causing problems with vision or other symptoms.
- Whether the tumor has spread into the brain around the pituitary gland or to other parts of the body.
- Whether the tumor has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).