Vaginal Cancer Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Vaginal Cancer
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) depends on the following:
- The stage of the cancer (whether it is in the vagina only or has spread to other areas).
- The size of the tumor.
- The grade of tumor cells (how different they are from normal cells).
- Where the cancer is within the vagina.
- Whether there are symptoms at diagnosis.
- The patient's age and general health.
- Whether the cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).
When found in early stages, vaginal cancer can often be cured.
Treatment options depend on the following:
- The stage and size of the cancer.
- Whether the cancer is close to other organs that may be damaged by treatment.
- Whether the tumor is made up of squamous cells or is an adenocarcinoma.
- Whether the patient has a uterus or has had a hysterectomy.
- Whether the patient has had past radiation treatment to the pelvis.