Top 10 Healthy Summer Foods for Children
Can kids eat healthfully, yet still enjoy their favorite summer foods?
2. Top Summer Food: Hamburgers & Hot Dogs
This all-American duo has always been trouble -- full of fat, sodium, and
cholesterol. The good news is, you can improve nutrition by making a few wise
- If you grill burgers at home, mix it up. Use one-half lean beef and
one-half ground turkey. Add a little applesauce or egg white for extra
juiciness, Krieger suggests. Fun toppings -- lemon or orange zest, black
pepper, salsa, BBQ sauce, pineapple. A slice of a summer tomato and some
fresh-from-the-garden lettuce tops off the taste.
- Frozen veggie burgers on whole-wheat buns are another good option. Try
grilling them, and toast the bun, too. Lots of fixings boost the enjoyment
- Try light and reduced-fat hot dogs, including chicken and turkey dogs. They
taste best hot off the grill, Krieger says.
- Switch gears: Grill skinless chicken breasts and lots of veggies -- onions,
bell peppers, carrots, squash, eggplant. "These taste great with a little
olive oil brushed on," says Zied. "Serve them cut up into small pieces
-- or with some melted cheese on toasted French bread."
3. Top Summer Food: Ice Cream
It's hard to resist ice cream. But premium ice creams have about 15 grams or
more fat per 1/2 cup serving.
- Sweet news here: Many well-known brands -- Dreyers/Edy's, Breyers, and
Haagen-Dazs -- are making super-creamy "light" and
"slow-churned" ice creams that cut lots of fat and calories. Read
labels carefully. Plain flavors like chocolate and vanilla have about 100
calories per half-cup, while other flavors are 120 to 130 calories -- even 250
calories per serving.
- Another option: "If kids get a Fudgsicle or Popsicle, they'll be
dodging lots of fat and sugar," Krieger says. In fact, Fudgsicles now come
in fat-free or low-fat, no sugar added versions. Popsicles are fat-free, even
sugar-free if you want. And both have built-in portion control, she adds.
- Make your own frozen fruit pops. Buy molds and sticks at a crafts store.
Pour in your favorite fruit juice (with fruit chunks, if you want), and freeze.
It's an easy yummy treat for a hot summer day.