Skip to content

Children's Health

Font Size
A
A
A

Should I Still Keep Ipecac in My Medicine Cabinet?

Doctors no longer believe this popular remedy is safe, our expert says.
By
WebMD Magazine

In every issue of WebMD the Magazine, we ask our experts to answer readers' questions about a wide range of topics. In our June 2012 issue, we asked WebMD's child care expert, Roy Benaroch, MD, if parents should still keep ipecac in case their child swallows a poison.

Q: I was always told to keep ipecac in the medicine cabinet. Now I hear I shouldn't. What changed?

Recommended Related to Children

How Are the Quaid Twins Doing?

With more recent horrifying headlines about heparin drug errors harming children — and even tragically taking the lives of two babies at a Texas hospital — WebMD recently sat down with Dennis and Kimberly Quaid. How are their 10-month-old twins, Thomas Boone and Zoë Grace, doing today, now that almost a year has passed since the 11-day-olds were twice given a potentially lethal dose of the blood thinner? What worries the actor and his wife most about their future health? And what successes and ...

Read the How Are the Quaid Twins Doing? article > >

A: For decades, parents were advised to keep a bottle of ipecac on hand, just in case a child ingested something poisonous. Ipecac is a medication that will cause vomiting within 20 to 30 minutes, so the idea was that you could get your child to vomit up whatever he swallowed.

But you can and should toss your bottle, because doctors now know it's not wise to use in many cases. In the time it takes for ipecac to take effect, the poison can move out of the stomach and be absorbed in the bloodstream. And some kinds of poison (such as bleach or pool chemicals) may cause as much damage when they're vomited as when they're swallowed.

Most important, drinking ipecac may prevent E.R. physicians from using truly effective treatments, such as activated charcoal or medical antidotes, because the child may throw them up. In the case of suspected poisoning, write down who ingested what, when, and how much, and immediately call your local poison control center or the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Find more articles, browse back issues, and read the current issue of "WebMD the Magazine."

Reviewed on 1/, 012

Today on WebMD

child with red rash on cheeks
What’s that rash?
plate of fruit and veggies
How healthy is your child’s diet?
 
smiling baby
Treating diarrhea, fever and more.
Middle school band practice
Understanding your child’s changing body.
 

worried kid
fitArticle
jennifer aniston
Slideshow
 
Measles virus
Article
sick child
Slideshow
 

Loaded with tips to help you avoid food allergy triggers.

Loading ...

Sending your email...

This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Thanks!

Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

babyapp
New
Child with adhd
Slideshow
 
rl with friends
fitSlideshow
Syringes and graph illustration
Tool