Watchdog Group Says Many Toys Unsafe
Consumer Group Calls for Ban on Popular Water Yo-Yos
Nov. 23, 2004 - A consumer group is warning holiday shoppers that dozens of potentially unsafe toys remain on store shelves despite posing a risk of choking or other injuries for children.
The U.S. Public Interest Research Group released a report listing more than 60 toys that may endanger young kids because they contain small parts that are potential choking hazards, contain potential toxic chemicals, are potential strangulation hazards, or lack required safety warnings.
The group is also renewing calls on the federal government to ban popular water yo-yos, which are responsible for more than 400 reported injuries. The yo-yo water ball caused incidents in which the toy wrapped tightly around children's necks or caused other injuries to the eyes, face and head. The yo-yos are marketed in the U.S. under several names, including "Yo-Yo Squeeze Toy." Regulators in Canada, France, and the United Kingdom have banned them.
The report comes a day after the federal Consumer Products Safety Commission announced recalls of ten toys and warned consumers that recalled toys could remain in stores this holiday season.
The agency reported 11 toy-related deaths involving children under age 15 in 2003, mostly from choking or aspiration of small parts. An estimated 155,400 children were treated for toy-related injuries in U.S. emergency rooms, though the number is down nearly 25% since 2001, it announced.
"Parents and holiday shoppers should be aware that not all toys on store shelves are tested or safe," Lindsey Johnson, a U.S. PIRG consumer advocate tells reporters.
"CPSC should ban sales of water yo-yo balls immediately," she said.
Johnson displayed several other toys, including a Dora the Explorer music box manufactured by Fischer Price that exceeds noise standards, a Disney Princess backpack that contains a toy ring small enough for children under six to aspirate, and a children's musical instrument set containing bells that can break off and fit in a child's throat.
Some brands of children's nail polish contain xylene, a chemical that can cause dizziness, headaches or other symptoms when inhaled or ingested, according to the report. Since children are prone to putting their hands in their mouths, nail polish offers a direct route of exposure to these potentially toxic chemicals.