Product Recall: Reebok Charm Bracelet
Heart-Shaped Charm Bracelet Recalled Due to Risk of Lead Poisoning
March 24, 2006 -- Reebok International has recalled a heart-shaped charm bracelet that was a gift given away with kids' Reebok shoes.
"Reebok has received a report of a death caused by lead poisoning of a 4-year-old child from Minneapolis," states a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) news release. "The child reportedly swallowed a piece from one of these bracelets."
"The recalled jewelry contains high levels of lead, posing a risk of lead poisoning and adverse health effects to young children," the CPSC news release also notes.
The CPSC advises people to "immediately take the charm bracelets away from children and dispose of the entire bracelet."
The recalled bracelets are 8 inches long, made of metal, and include a heart-shaped charm. The name "Reebok" is engraved on one side of the charm.
Major shoe stores nationwide sold various styles of children's footwear that came with the free charm bracelets from May 2004 through March 2006. The manufacturer's retail price for the shoes ranged between $33 and $50, the CPSC states.
For more information, contact Reebok at (800) 994-6260 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit Reebok's web site, www.reebok.com.