Date-Rape Drug Spurs Aqua Dots Recall
More Than 4 Million Aqua Dot Beads Recalled; 2 Kids Hospitalized in Coma After Swallowing Beads
WebMD News Archive
Nov. 8, 2007 -- More than 4 million Aqua Dots craft kits are being recalled after two children slipped into a coma and were hospitalized after swallowing beads in the Aqua Dots craft kits.
The craft kits allow kids to create various multidimensional designs using small colored beads. The beads fuse together when sprayed with water.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises consumers to take the recalled Aqua Dots away from children immediately.
In the body, the chemical coating on the beads converts into the so-called "date-rape drug" GHB, CPSC spokeswoman Patty Davis tells WebMD.
The CPSC has gotten two U.S. reports in the last several days of children who became ill and fell into comas after swallowing Aqua Dots.
One of those children is a 20-month-old boy who swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state. Since then, he has fully recovered.
The other child, a 4-year-old, vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days before recovering fully, Davis tells WebMD.
The recall applies to all Aqua Dots models sold nationwide from April 2007 through November 2007 for between $17 and $20. The craft kits were made in China and distributed by Spin Master of Toronto.
(Did you buy Aqua Dots for your kids? How do you feel about this recall? Discuss with other parents on the Parenting: Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers board.)