Skin Reactions Lead to Face Paint Recall
Fun Express Inc. Recalls Certain Face Paints Made by Shanghai Color Art Stationery Company Ltd.
May 12, 2009 -- The FDA today advised consumers to stop using certain cosmetic face paints that are being recalled because of reports of skin reactions in children.
The FDA has learned of a cluster of adverse events in children exposed to various colors of the face paint. All exposures occurred on the same day, at an organized event. Symptoms included rashes, itchiness, burning sensation, and swelling where the face paints were applied.
The FDA found "significant microbial contamination" in most of the products that were tested, according to an FDA news release.
Those face paints are labeled as distributed by Oriental Trading Co. of Omaha, Neb., and are made by Shanghai Color Art Stationery Company Ltd.
Here is a list of the face paints, which the FDA says are being recalled by Fun Express Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Oriental Trading Co.:
- Blue Face Paint: Item Number 85/2077, UPC code 8 8760048110 7
- Purple Face Paint: Item Number 85/2078, UPC code 8 8760048112 1
- Red Face Paint: Item Number 85/2079, UPC code 8 8760048114 5
- Orange Face Paint: Item Number 85/2080, UPC code 8 8760048116 9
- Black Face Paint: Item Number 85/2081, UPC code 8 8760048118 3
- Green Face Paint: Item Number 85/2082, UPC code 8 8760048120 6
The FDA recommends that consumers discard those face paints or return them to their retailer.