FDA Panel: Correct Acetaminophen Dose Depends on Kids' Weight
Infant Drug Labels Should Spell Out Dose; Industry Backs New Rule
WebMD News Archive
Avoiding Acetaminophen Overdose
To avoid these errors -- as well as accidental overdoses by children themselves -- the CHPA offers this advice:
- Always read and follow the label.
- Only use the medicine that treats your child’s specific symptoms.
- Store ALL of your family’s medicines, including products you use every day, high up and out of sight from children.
- Put medicines away -- out of reach and out of sight -- EVERY time you use them.
- Always lock the child safety cap completely every time you use a medicine.
- Always tell children what medicines are, and do not refer to them as candy.
- Remind house guests not to put medicines in purses, bags, coats, or other places small children can get into.
- Keep the poison control help line number handy, or program it into your phone: 800-222-1222.