Fever or Chills, Age 12 and Older - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What is the history of your fever?
- When did you fever start?
- How often do you have a fever?
- How long does your fever last?
- Does your fever have a pattern?
- Are you able to measure your temperature? How high is your fever?
- Have you had any other health problems over the past 3 months?
- Have you recently been exposed to anyone who has a fever?
- Have you recently traveled outside the country or been exposed to immigrants or other nonnative people?
- Have you had any insect bites in the past 6 weeks, including tick bites?
- What home treatment measures you have tried? Did they help?
- What nonprescription medicines have you taken? Did they help? Keep a fever chart of what your temperature was before and after home treatment.
- Do you have any health risks?
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Fever or Chills, Age 12 and Older Topics