Call 911 if:
- The person is unconscious for more than a few seconds.
- Severe bleeding does not stop or slow down after applying direct pressure, or blood quickly soaks through several bandages.
- The person has a seizure.
- The person feels weak or numb on one side of the body.
- Double vision or trouble speaking lasts more than a minute or two.
- The person seems confused, does not remember being hurt, or keeps asking the same questions.
- You have trouble waking the person anytime in the next 24 hours.
Call a doctor if:
- The person fainted for a second or two and is now awake.
- Vomiting occurs more than once after the injury.
- The person has a severe headache.
- Blood or clear fluid drains from the ears or nose.
- There is bruising around both eyes or behind one ear.
- There is a new "dent" or deformity in the skull.
- The wound needs stitches.