To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your child's condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What are your child's main symptoms? How long has your child had symptoms?
- Has your child had this problem in the past? If so, do you know what caused the problem at that time? How was it treated?
- Does your child limp or complain about pain when he or she walks? Where is the pain felt? How far can your child walk without pain? Does the pain get better or worse as he or she continues to walk?
- Has your child had any recent illness or fever?
- What activities make your child's symptoms better or worse?
- What activities does your child do? Has your child recently started a new activity?
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did they help?
- What prescription or nonprescription medicines has your child taken? Did they help?
- Does your child have any health risks that may increase the seriousness of his or her hip symptoms?