Nausea and Vomiting, Age 12 and Older - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- Describe your nausea and vomiting:
- When did it start?
- How many times
have you vomited?
- When did you last vomit?
- What does
the vomit look like (blood, coffee grounds, bile, mucus, undigested
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines are
- Are you taking any new prescription or
- Have you recently increased the dose of
- Are you taking a medicine more frequently?
- Have you recently been exposed to someone with
a similar illness?
- Did your symptoms start after eating at a
restaurant? Has anyone else who ate there with you become ill?
you recently eaten raw or undercooked seafood?
- Do you think you
have eaten any contaminated food?
- Have you recently drunk any
untreated lake, stream, or well water?
- Have you recently gone on a
cruise or traveled outside the country?
- Have you had any known
exposure to toxic materials, chemicals, or fumes?
- Do you think that
your vomiting is caused by alcohol or drug use?
- What home treatment
measures have you tried? How well have they worked?
- Do you have any
other symptoms, such as diarrhea, fever, headache, urinary problems, or
- Do you ever force yourself to
- Have you ever been diagnosed with an eating disorder, such
- Does anyone else in your family
have problems with vomiting?
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
October 30, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Nausea and Vomiting, Age 12 and Older Topics