Nausea and Vomiting, Age 12 and Older - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- Describe your nausea and vomiting:
- When did it start?
- How many times have you vomited?
- When did you last vomit?
- What does the vomit look like (blood, coffee grounds, bile, mucus, undigested food)?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines are you taking?
- Are you taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicines?
- Have you recently increased the dose of a medicine?
- Are you taking a medicine more frequently?
- Have you recently been exposed to someone with a similar illness?
- Did your symptoms start after eating at a restaurant? Has anyone else who ate there with you become ill?
- Have you recently eaten raw or undercooked seafood?
- Do you think you have eaten any contaminated food?
- Have you recently drunk any untreated lake, stream, or well water?
- Have you recently gone on a cruise or traveled outside the country?
- Have you had any known exposure to toxic materials, chemicals, or fumes?
- Do you think that your vomiting is caused by alcohol or drug use?
- What home treatment measures have you tried? How well have they worked?
- Do you have any other symptoms, such as diarrhea, fever, headache, urinary problems, or belly pain?
- Do you ever force yourself to vomit?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia?
- Does anyone else in your family have problems with vomiting?
- Do you have any health risks?
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Nausea and Vomiting, Age 12 and Older Topics