Meningococcal Vaccine: What You Need to Know
What should I do?
Call a doctor, or get the person to a doctor right away.
Tell your doctor what happened, the date and time it happened, and when the
vaccination was given.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or health department to report the reaction by
filing a Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) form.Or you can file
this report through the VAERS web site at www.vaers.hhs.gov or by calling
VAERS does not provide medical advice.
7. The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
A federal program exists to help pay for the care of anyone who has had a
rare serious reaction to a vaccine.
For information about the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, call
1-800-338-2382 or visit their website at
8. How can I learn more?
- Ask your immunization provider. They can give you the vaccine package
insert or suggest other sources of information.
- Call your local or state health department.
- Contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Call 1-800-232-4636 (1-800-CDC-INFO)
- Visit CDC’s websites at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines
- Visit CDC’s meningococcal disease website at
- Visit CDC’s Travelers’ Health website at wwwn.cdc.gov/travel