Skip to content

Children's Vaccines Health Center

Font Size

Meningococcal Vaccine: What You Need to Know


What should I do?

Call a doctor, or get the person to a doctor right away.

Tell your doctor what happened, the date and time it happened, and when the vaccination was given.     

Ask your doctor, nurse, or health department to report the reaction by filing a Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) form.Or you can file this report through the VAERS web site at or by calling 1-800-822-7967.

 VAERS does not provide medical advice.

7. The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program

A federal program exists to help pay for the care of anyone who has had a rare serious reaction to a vaccine.

For information about the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, call 1-800-338-2382 or visit their website at

8. How can I learn more?

  • Ask your immunization provider.  They can give you the vaccine package insert or suggest other sources of information. 
  • Call your local or state health department. 
  • Contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
    • Call 1-800-232-4636 (1-800-CDC-INFO)
    • Visit CDC’s websites at:
    • Visit CDC’s meningococcal disease website at
    • Visit CDC’s Travelers’ Health website at 


WebMD Public Information from the CDC

Today on WebMD

Baby getting vaccinated
Is there a link? Get the facts.
syringes and graph illustration
Get a customized vaccine schedule.
baby getting a vaccine
Know the benefits and the risk
nurse holding syringe in front of girl
Should your child have it?

What To Know About The HPV Vaccine
24 Kid Illnesses Parents Should Know
Nausea and Vomiting Remedies Slideshow
Managing Immunization Schedules For Kids

Doctor administering vaccine to toddler
gloved hand holding syringe
infant receiving injection

WebMD Special Sections