Coughs - Emergencies
Do you have any of the following symptoms that require emergency treatment?
Call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
- Chest discomfort or pain that is crushing or squeezing or feels
like a heavy weight on the chest
- Chest discomfort or pain that occurs with:
- •Shortness of breath
- •Nausea or vomiting
- •Pain that spreads from the chest to the back, neck, jaw,
upper abdomen, or one or both shoulders or arms. See an illustration of
chest pain .
- •Dizziness or
- •A fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Moderate to severe difficulty breathing:
- Choking. If choking is present, go to the topic
Choking Rescue Procedure. Do not perform the Heimlich
maneuver if the person is still coughing or able to speak.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
February 25, 2008
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2010 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.