Sore Throat and Other Throat Problems - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being ready to answer the following questions:
- When did your throat symptoms begin?
- Do you have a fever? Describe your fever pattern.
- Do other family members, friends, or coworkers have similar complaints?
- Do you have other symptoms associated with the sore throat, such as a head cold?
- What makes the pain worse?
- Have you had your tonsils removed?
- Have you been diagnosed with strep throat in the past? How long ago? Was it found during a doctor visit, with a rapid strep test or with a throat culture? How was it treated?
- What immunizations have you had?
- What home treatment have you tried? Did it help?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines have you tried? Did they help?
- Do you have any health risks?
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
August 13, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Sore Throat and Other Throat Problems Topics