When Should You Call the Doctor?
Usually, you don't need to take your sick child to the doctor. But sometimes fever can be a serious warning sign. Call your pediatrician if your child:
- Has a temperature of 104 F or higher
- Is under 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4 F or higher
- Has a fever that last for more than 3 days (or more than 24 hours if your child is under age 2)
- Has a fever along with other symptoms such as a stiff neck, extremely sore throat, ear pain, rash, or severe headache
- Has a seizure
- Seems very sick, upset, or unresponsive