Stool Tests for Colorectal Cancer
How It Is Done continued...
Other ways to do FOBT:
- Some kits instruct you to use a special cloth
to wipe with after a bowel movement. After wiping with the cloth, you put the
developer solution on it to check for color change that means there is blood in
- Other kits have a special test pad that you place in the
toilet after having a bowel movement. The pad will change color if the stool
has blood in it.
If there is blood in your stool, call your doctor as soon as possible.
You will need to collect two stool samples for testing over different days. The test kit includes brushes and test cards. Be sure to follow the instructions provided in the test kit. The FIT test doesn't require a special diet in the days before you take the test.
- Complete the identification information on
the labels provided.
- Flush the toilet before your bowel movement. After you go, put used toilet paper in the waste bag from the kit, not in the toilet.
- Brush the surface of the stool with one of the brushes for about 5 seconds. If the stool is loose, use the brush to simply stir the water around the stool.
- Remove the brush from the water, and gently shake it once to remove extra water and any clumps of stool.
- Dab the end of the brush onto the test card for about 5 seconds. Close the flap on the card, and seal it with one of your labels.
- Put the used brush into the kit waste bag, and throw the bag in the trash.
- The next time you test your stool, complete the remaining card in the
- Put the test cards in an envelope, and mail it as soon as possible after you have collected your second sample. Your doctor will tell you your test results.
Stool DNA test
You will receive a kit from your doctor with supplies and instructions for doing this test at home. Always follow the instructions in your kit.
- This test requires an entire stool sample. You use a special container for the stool. The container is placed in a bracket that stretches across the seat of your toilet.
- Have your bowel movement while sitting on the toilet. Make sure the stool goes into the container.
- Place the container and an ice pack in a shipping box. Close and label the box.
- The specimen must be shipped to the lab within 24 hours of your bowel movement. Your doctor will tell you your test results.
How It Feels
You may find it unpleasant to collect a
stool sample for these tests.
These tests do not have any risks.