Treatment Options by Stage
Treatment of rectal cancer that has spread to other organs depends on which organ the cancer has spread to.
- Treatment for areas of cancer that have spread to the liver includes the following:
- Regional or systemic chemotherapy.
- Internal radiation therapy.
- Surgery to remove the tumor with or without chemotherapy before surgery.
- Treatment for areas of cancer that has spread to the lung or ovaries is surgery.
Check for U.S. clinical trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials that are now accepting patients with stage IV rectal cancer and recurrent rectal cancer. For more specific results, refine the search by using other search features, such as the location of the trial, the type of treatment, or the name of the drug. General information about clinical trials is available from the NCI Web site.