Benefits of Levemir® FlexPen®
(insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection)
Once-Daily Dosing Proven to Lower A1C in People With Type 2 Diabetes
Levemir® FlexPen® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection) is a dial-a-dose insulin pen that comes pre-filled with Levemir long-lasting, once-daily insulin
Levemir® FlexPen® provides blood sugar control for up to 24 hours in adults with Type 2 diabetes.
Levemir® FlexPen® has also been proven to lower A1C. The A1C test measures your estimated average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months.
Less Weight Gain
Studies have shown that people with type 2 diabetes taking Levemir® FlexPen® reached their A1C and daily blood sugar goals with significantly less weight gain than a different long-acting insulin.
Pregnancy Category B
Levemir® is the first and only long-acting, man-made insulin to receive a Pregnancy Category B rating.
Approved for Children As Young As 2 Years
Levemir® FlexPen® is the first and only long-acting insulin that has been approved for use in children with type 1 diabetes as young as 2 years.
*Once in use, Levemir® FlexPen® must be kept at room temperature, below 86°F, for up to 42 days.
Important Safety Information
INDICATIONS AND USAGE
What is Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection)?
- Levemir® is a man-made long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.
- It is not recommended to use Levemir® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Who should not use Levemir®?
- Do not use Levemir® if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
What should I tell my health care provider before taking Levemir®?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to do either.
- About all prescription and nonprescription medicines you take, including supplements, as your dose may need to change.
How should I take Levemir®?
- Inject Levemir® under the skin of your stomach area, upper arms, or thighs, but never into a vein or muscle.
- Do not dilute or mix Levemir® with any other insulin or injectable diabetes medicine or use in an insulin pump. Give yourself separate injections in the same body area, but not next to each other.
- Do not change your dose or type of insulin unless you are told to by your health care provider.
- Do not share needles, insulin pens, or syringes.
- Check your blood sugar levels as directed by your health care provider.
What should I consider while using Levemir®?
- Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar.
- Be careful when driving a car or operating machinery. You may have difficulty concentrating or reacting if you have low blood sugar. Talk to your health care provider if you often have low blood sugar or no warning signs of low blood sugar.
What are the possible side effects of Levemir®?
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), including when too much is taken. Some symptoms include sweating, shakiness, confusion, and headache. Severe low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness, seizures, and death.
- Serious allergic reactions may occur. Get medical help right away, if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, a fast heartbeat, or sweating.
- Other side effects include injection site reactions (like redness, swelling, and itching), skin thickening or pits at the injection site, if taken with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) possible heart failure, and weight gain.
The weight benefits of Levemir® when used alone or with other medications have not been established. The actual weight effects of Levemir® and these other medicines are not known.
Please click here for complete Levemir® Prescribing Information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Levemir® is a prescription medication.
If you need assistance with prescription drug costs, help may be available. Visit pparx.org or call 1-888-4PPA-NOW.
Cornerstones4Care®, FlexPen®, and Levemir® are registered trademarks and LevemirCare™ is a trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S
© 2013 Novo Nordisk. All rights reserved. 0713-00016947-1 October 2013
WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.