Managing My Blood Sugar, My Way
Levemir® FlexPen® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection) is a safe and effective way to help you get to your goal by helping control your blood sugar levels for up to 24 hours.
Once-Daily Dosing Proven to Lower A1C for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
Lasts up to 42 Days without Refrigeration Once in Use*
Learn More about the Benefits of Levemir® FlexPen®
*Once in use, Levemir® FlexPen® must be kept at room temperature, below 86°F, for
up to 42 days.
Learn More About Diabetes
Get a better understanding of the connection between blood sugar and insulin and how diabetes is managed.
Explore the Benefits of Levemir® FlexPen®
One dose of Levemir® FlexPen® daily provides up to 24 hours of blood sugar control for type 2 diabetes management.
Learn More Now
The Support You Need,
When You Need It
LevemirCare™ is a free program that provides you with educational tools and information that can help you stay on track with your insulin therapy.
Find Out More
Get a Doctor Discussion Guide
You can customize it, print it from home, and take it with you to your next visit with your health care provider.
Important Safety Information
INDICATIONS AND USAGE
What is Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection)?
- Levemir® is a man-made long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.
- It is not recommended to use Levemir® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Who should not use Levemir®?
- Do not use Levemir® if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
What should I tell my health care provider before taking Levemir®?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to do either.
- About all prescription and nonprescription medicines you take, including supplements, as your dose may need to change.
How should I take Levemir®?
- Inject Levemir® under the skin of your stomach area, upper arms, or thighs, but never into a vein or muscle.
- Do not dilute or mix Levemir® with any other insulin or injectable diabetes medicine or use in an insulin pump. Give yourself separate injections in the same body area, but not next to each other.
- Do not change your dose or type of insulin unless you are told to by your health care provider.
- Do not share needles, insulin pens, or syringes.
- Check your blood sugar levels as directed by your health care provider.
What should I consider while using Levemir®?
- Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar.
- Be careful when driving a car or operating machinery. You may have difficulty concentrating or reacting if you have low blood sugar. Talk to your health care provider if you often have low blood sugar or no warning signs of low blood sugar.
What are the possible side effects of Levemir®?
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), including when too much is taken. Some symptoms include sweating, shakiness, confusion, and headache. Severe low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness, seizures, and death.
- Serious allergic reactions may occur. Get medical help right away, if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, a fast heartbeat, or sweating.
- Other side effects include injection site reactions (like redness, swelling, and itching), skin thickening or pits at the injection site, if taken with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) possible heart failure, and weight gain.
The weight benefits of Levemir® when used alone or with other medications have not been established. The actual weight effects of Levemir® and these other medicines are not known.
Please click here for complete Levemir® Prescribing Information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Levemir® is a prescription medication.
If you need assistance with prescription drug costs, help may be available. Visit pparx.org or call 1-888-4PPA-NOW.
Cornerstones4Care®, FlexPen®, and Levemir® are registered trademarks and LevemirCare™ is a trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S
© 2013 Novo Nordisk. All rights reserved. 0713-00016947-1 October 2013
WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.