This content is selected and controlled by WebMD's editorial staff.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.
It is intended for informational
purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking
treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think
you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial
1. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder (revision). American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry 2000; 157(4 suppl):1.
2. Rush, AJ, Trivedi, MH, Wisniewski, SR, et al. Acute and longer-term outcomes in depressed outpatients requiring one or several treatment steps: a STAR*D report. Am J Psychiatry, 2006; 163:1905.
3. Mann, JJ. the medical management of depression. N Engl J Med, 2005; 353:1819.
4. Risch, N, Herrell, R, Lehner, T, et al. Interaction between the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR), stressful life events, and risk of depression. JAMA, 2009; 301(23):2462-2471.
5. Kinney, DK, Tanaka, M. An evolutionary hypothesis of depression and its symptoms, adaptive value, and risk factors. J Nerv Ment Dis, 2009; 197(8):561-567.
6. Solomon, DA< Keller, MB, Leon, AC, et al. Multiple recurrences of major depressive disorder. Am J Psychiatry, 2000; 157:229.
7. Andrews, PW, Thomason, JA Jr. The bright side of being blue: depression as an adaptation for analyzing complex problems. Psychol Rev, 2009; 116(3):620-654.
8. Mitchell, AJ. Depressed patients and treatment adherence. Lancet, 2006; 367:2041.
9. Jorm, AF, Morgan, AJ, Hetrick, SE. Relaxation for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2008; CD007142.
10. Faulconbridge, LF,Wadden, TA, Berkowitz, RI, et al. Changes in symptoms of depression with weight loss: results of a randomized trial. Obesity (in press).
11. Haeffel, GJ, Getchell, M, Koposov, RA, et al. Association between polymorphisms in the dopamine transporter gene and depression: evidence for a gene-environment interaction in a sample of juvenile detainees. Psychological Science, 2008; 19(1):62-69.
12. Lowry, CA, Hollis, JH, deVries, A, et al. Identification of an immune-responsive mesolimbocortical serotonergic system: potential role in regulation of emotional behavior. Neuroscience, 2007; 146(2):756-772.
13. Pampallona, S, Bollini, P, Tibaldi, G, et al. Combined pharmacotherapy and psychological treatment for depression: a systematic review. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 2004; 61:714.
14. Lu, PH, Edland, SD, Teng, E, et al. Donepezil delays progression to AD in MCI subjects with depressive symptoms. Neurology, 2009; 72(24):2115-2121.
15. Smith, L, Walker, A, Gilhooly, K. Clinical guidelines of depression: a qualitative study of GP’s views. J Fam Pract, 2004; 53(7):556-561.
16. Lin, EH, Katon, WJ, VonKorff, M, et al. Relapse of depression in primary care. Rate and clinical predictors. Arch Fam Med 1998; 7:443.
17. Geddes, JR, Carney, SM, Davies, C, et al. Relapse prevention with antidepressant drug treatment in depressive disorders: a systematic review. Lancet, 2003; 361:653.
18. Lichtman, JH, Bigger, JT Jr, Blumenthal, JA, et al. Depression and coronary heart disease: recommendations for screening, referral and treatment. Circulation, 2008; 118(7):1768-1775.
19. Gartlehner, G, Gaynes, Bn, Hansen, RA, et al. Comparative benefits and harms of second-generation antidepressants: background paper for the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med, 2008; 149:734.
20. Zimmerman, M, Galione, JN, Chelminski, I, et al. A simpler definition of major depressive disorder. Psychol Med, 2009 (July 23): 1-7.
21. Ali, S, Garg, SK, Cohen, BE, Bhave, P, Harris, WS, Whooley, MA. Association between omega-3 fatty acids and depressive symptoms among patients with established coronary artery disease: data from the Heart and Soul Study. Psychother Psychosom, 2009; 78(2):125-127.
22. Mezuk, B, Eaton, WW, Albrecht, S, Golden, SH. Depression and type 2 diabetes over the lifespan: a meta-analysis. Diabetes Care, December 2008; 31(12):2383-2390.
23. Kroenke, K, Bair, MJ, Damush, TM, et al. Optimized antidepressant therapy and pain self-management in primary care patients with depression and musculoskeletal pain: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA, 2009; 301(20):2099-2110.
24. FDA. Questions and Answers on Antidepressant Use in Children, Adolescents, and Adults: May, 2007.
25. National Institute of Mental Health. What Medications Are Used to Treat Depression? March 7, 2011.
26. Ford, DE. Optimizing outcomes for patients with depression and chronic medical illnesses. Am J Med, 2008 Nov;121(11 Suppl 2):S38-44.
27. Stetler C, Miller GE. Depression and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal activation: a quantitative summary of four decades of research. Psychosom Med. 2011 Feb-Mar;73(2):114-26. Epub 2011 Jan 21.
28. Schoorlemmer RM, et al. Relationships between cortisol level, mortality and chronic diseases in older persons. Clin Endocrinol 2009 Dec;71(6):779-86. Epub 2009 Feb 18.
29. American Psychiatric Association. DSM-IV-TR
30. American Psychiatric Association. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients With Major Depressive Disorder, Third Edition. November 2010.
31. Jain R. Pain and the brain: lower back pain. J Clin Psychiatry, 2009 Feb;70(2):e41.