Murder-suicides in Elderly Rise
Husbands commit most murder-suicides -- without wives' consent.
"We can't really pass the buck to the physician here. It's important for
adult children and members of the community to pay attention and to listen --
to really listen -- to what these older people are saying," says Arbore.
"Sometimes comments like 'I'm going to kill myself' are so provocative that
we can't believe it and let it go by."
Changes in eating or sleeping, talk of feeling helpless or hopeless, loss of
interest in activities, or giving things away are all signs of depression. In
addition, Cohen says adult children should be aware that the following
situations are risk factors for homicide-suicide:
- The couple has been married a long time and the husband has a dominant
- The husband is a caregiver and the wife has Alzheimer's disease or a similar
- One or both have multiple medical problems, and the health status of one is
- A move to a nursing home or assisted living facility is
pending or under discussion.
- The couple is becoming more socially isolated, withdrawing from family,
friends, and social activities.
- The couple has been arguing or there is talk of divorce.
Cohen urges adult children to come right out and ask a parent if he has
thought about suicide or homicide-suicide. "Don't worry about giving them
ideas," says Cohen. If the answer is yes, ask them about their plans. The
more detailed the plans are, the more likely they'll be carried through, she
If you believe there is a risk for homicide-suicide in your family, call a
suicide crisis center, a suicide hotline, a family physician, a psychiatric or
medical emergency room, or a community mental health center. And if there is a
gun in the house, remove it. Cohen notes that areas of the country where gun
laws are stricter, such as the northeast, have much lower homicide-suicide
rates than those where firearms are more easily available.
"People think about killing themselves or their partner for weeks,
months, even years," she says. "Be alert to signs of depression and get