Your loved one or friend doesn't seem the same. You thought it was
the blues, but it's been going on for weeks. And it seems much worse than that.
Is your friend
grieving over something? Or could it be
If you want to learn more
about grieving, see the topic
Grief and Grieving. If you think someone close to
you is depressed, urge him or her to see a doctor.
will give you the tools to do so.
is a disease. It's not being lazy, and you can't "just get over it."
- Depression is very common and is nothing to be embarrassed about.
- The best thing you can do for someone who has depression is to
help him or her get treatment.
- Don't ignore talk about suicide.
Talk to a doctor, or call 911 or emergency
help if needed.
- Treatment works, and there are many choices in
treatment. Many types of health practitioners can treat depression.
- Depression can be caused by another medical problem. Treating the
problem may stop the depression.
How can you help?