What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
Warning Signs of Suicide
If you or someone you know shows any of the following warning signs, contact a mental health professional right away or go to the emergency room for immediate treatment.
- Talking about committing suicide
- Always talking or thinking about death
- Making comments about being hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- Saying things like "It would be better if I wasn't here" or "I want out"
Depression (deep sadness, loss of interest, trouble sleeping and eating) that gets worse
- A sudden switch from being very sad to being very calm or appearing to be happy
- Having a "death wish," tempting fate by taking risks that could lead to death, like driving recklessly
- Losing interest in things one used to care about
- Visiting or calling people one cares about
- Putting affairs in order, tying up lose ends, changing a will