How Can Heart Disease Be Prevented in a Person With Diabetes?
The best way to prevent heart disease is to take good care of yourself and your diabetes.
- Keep your blood sugar as normal as possible.
- Control your blood pressure, with medication if necessary. The target for people with diabetes is under 130/80.
- Get your cholesterol numbers under control. You may need to take medication to do this.
- Lose weight if you are obese.
- Ask your doctor if you should take an aspirin a day.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet low in fat and salt.
- Quit smoking.