More Treatment Options
Injections of local anesthetics like lidocaine -- or patches that contain it -- can also numb the area.
Doctors could also:
- Surgically destroy nerves or relieve a nerve compression that causes pain
- Implant a device that relieves pain
- Perform electrical nerve stimulation which may relieve pain. In this treatment, small amounts of electricity are used to block pain signals as they pass through the skin. Experts say its effectiveness is debatable.
Other useful aides to improve your quality of life include:
- Hand or foot braces that can help muscle weakness or relieve nerve compression
- Orthopaedic shoes that can improve walking problems, which will prevent foot injuries