Fast Dinners for Busy People With Diabetes
Dinner Menu 2
- 1 serving citrus salmon (see recipe below) with 1/2 cup orange segments as garnish
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 5 grilled asparagus spears (lightly coated with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and grilled on indoor grill)
- Cup of hot or iced tea, water, or skim or 1% milk
Per serving (not including milk as beverage): 535 calories, 37 grams protein, 57 grams carbohydrate, 17.8 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 7 grams monounsaturated fat, 6 grams polyunsaturated fat, 83 milligrams cholesterol, 8 grams fiber, 71 milligrams sodium.
Calories from fat: 30%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 3.1 grams; omega-6 fatty acids: 2.3 grams.
Citrus Glazed Salmon (Fish Entrée)
This is a tangy salmon that is great served warm or cold. Salmon is one of the best food sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Makes 4 (4-ounce) servings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 pound salmon filet
- Salt and pepper to season the salmon (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil. Line with foil a baking dish that fits the salmon filet as closely as possible. Coat the foil with canola cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together well the orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, honey, canola oil, parsley, and chives.
- Pour the mixture into the foil-lined dish. Season the flesh side of the filet with salt and pepper to taste if desired. Place salmon flesh side down in baking dish on top of citrus sauce. Broil about 6 inches from the heat, skin side up, for about 4 to 5 minutes (watch carefully).
- Remove dish from broiler. Remove the crisp skin with a fork and discard. Flip the filet over, cover well with the citrus sauce in dish, and continue to broil until fish is cooked throughout (about 5 minutes more). Serve fish warm or cold.
Per serving: 283 calories, 31 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fat, 1.7 grams saturated fat, 5 grams monounsaturated fat, 4.8 grams polyunsaturated fat, 83 milligrams cholesterol, 0.2 grams fiber, 67 milligrams sodium. Calories from fat: 38%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 3 grams; omega-6 fatty acids: 1.3 grams.