Diabetes Care: Managing Your Time When You Have Diabetes
Diabetes care can be time-consuming. Here are some tips to help you keep up.
With today's busy schedules, it's hard for everybody -- not just those with
diabetes -- to find enough time to prepare healthy meals and snacks. Some
- Keep the right foods on hand. "Most of us, research shows, eat about
the same 100 foods most of the time," Kulkarni says. "Be familiar with
those foods, and have a balance in terms of nutrition." For example, keep
whole-grain breads, cereal, milk, vegetables and fruit well-stocked in your
- Find easy, diabetes-friendly recipes that take less than 30 minutes to
prepare. Diabetes cookbooks can help.
- Buy bagged broccoli, bagged lettuce, baby carrots, and cherry tomatoes to
cut down on chopping and preparation time.
- Stock your pantry with commonly used ingredients, such as low-sodium broth,
whole-grain pastas, and lentils. "If you've got basic ingredients, you can
always throw something together," Kulkarni says.
- Consult with a registered dietitian about your diet. Ask him or her to
teach you how to read food labels so that you can evaluate convenience foods to
make sure they're not too high in carbohydrates, salt, or fat.
Many a diabetes educator who talks to clients about exercise hears this
refrain: "I just don't have the time." Yet exercise is crucial for
improving blood glucose control and controlling weight. Some ways to fit
- Look closely for opportunities to exercise in your daily schedule. "Try
to find pockets of time. Do you have 15 minutes here or 10 minutes there?"
Kulkarni says. Go for a walk or climb stairs at work during those short
snatches of time. "It doesn't have to be a whole hour block in one day.
Nobody seems to have that kind of time."
- Use the buddy system. If you plan to meet three or four times a week with
someone to exercise, "there's some accountability there," Kulkarni
- Work with a personal trainer. The appointment is scheduled, and because
you're paying for the session, you're less likely to skip out of