Home Blood Glucose Test
How To Prepare
You can buy home blood glucose testing equipment at a pharmacy and any grocery or discount store that has a pharmacy. You also may be able to buy the testing equipment and supplies through the mail or on the Internet.
The supplies you will need for testing blood glucose include:
- A blood glucose meter.
- Testing strips. These are made to be used with a specific model of meter.
- Sugar control solution. Each meter requires a specific solution. Many new meters are made to operate without a control solution.
- Short needles called lancets for pricking your skin.
- A pen-sized holder for the lancet (lancet device), which positions the lancet and controls how deeply it goes into your skin.
- Clean cotton balls. These are used to stop the bleeding from the testing site.
To make sure you get accurate results when you test your blood sugar:
- Check the expiration date on the bottle of testing strips. Do not use test strips that have expired. The test results may not be accurate.
- Always store unused test strips in the container. Test strips that have been exposed to air may not give accurate results.
- Match the code number on the testing strips bottle with the number on the meter. If the numbers do not match, follow the directions with the meter for changing the code number.
- Follow the instructions with the meter. All blood glucose meters have detailed instructions for performing the test. Follow these directions exactly.
Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results will mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form(What is a PDF document?).
How It Is Done
A home blood sugar test involves pricking your finger, palm, or forearm with a small needle (lancet) to collect a drop of blood and placing the blood on a special test strip, which you insert into the blood glucose meter before you begin the test. The blood glucose meter displays the results of a blood sugar test within a minute after testing.