Home Blood Glucose Test
How To Prepare
You can buy home blood glucose testing
equipment at a pharmacy and any grocery or discount store that has a pharmacy.
You also may be able to buy the testing equipment and supplies through the mail
or on the Internet.
The supplies you will need for testing blood
- A blood glucose meter.
strips. These are made to be used with a specific model of
- Sugar control solution. Each meter requires a specific
solution. Many new meters are made to operate without a control
- Short needles called lancets for pricking your
- A pen-sized holder for the lancet (lancet device), which
positions the lancet and controls how deeply it goes into your skin.
- Clean cotton balls. These are used to stop the bleeding from the
To make sure you get
accurate results when you test your blood sugar:
- Check the expiration date on the bottle of
testing strips. Do not use test strips that have expired. The test results may
not be accurate.
- Always store unused test strips in the container. Test strips that have been exposed to air may not give accurate results.
- Match the code number on the testing strips bottle
with the number on the meter. If the numbers do not match, follow the
directions with the meter for changing the code number.
- Follow the
instructions with the meter. All blood glucose meters have detailed
instructions for performing the test. Follow these directions
Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have
regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the
results will mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill
medical test information form(What is a PDF document?).
How It Is Done
A home blood sugar test involves
pricking your finger, palm, or forearm with a small needle (lancet) to collect
a drop of blood and placing the blood on a special test strip, which you insert
into the blood glucose meter before you begin the test. The blood glucose meter
displays the results of a blood sugar test within a minute after