Young children with type 1 diabetes aren't able to recognize when their blood sugar level is high or low and then tell an adult. And sometimes it's even hard for a parent to tell the difference.
Some signs that may indicate high or low blood sugar in a very young child include:
- Irritability, anger, or crying.
- Nervousness or trembling.
- Staring off or not responding when touched or spoken to.
- Dark urine with a strong sweet odor.
- Drowsiness or difficulty waking up.
When you see changes in your child, do a home blood sugar test. It will show the actual blood sugar level, eliminating the guesswork.