Type 1 Diabetes in Children: Making Mealtime Happier - Topic Overview
Some tips to make mealtimes more pleasant when your young child has type 1 diabetes:
- Set up expectations (and consequences) for staying at the table during mealtime.
- Keep mealtimes positive and enjoyable.
- Offer a variety of healthy choices to your child.
- Preparing an alternative meal during or shortly after a meal.
- Frequently reminding your child to eat (during the meal).
- Punishing your child for not eating.
- Giving "sweets" or other foods as rewards.
- Offering dessert only if another food is finished or the child "cleans" his or her plate.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
June 04, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Type 1 Diabetes in Children: Making Mealtime Happier Topics