Type 2 Diabetes - Living With Type 2 Diabetes
Making healthy choices
Making healthy choices is a big part of managing type 2 diabetes. The more you learn about the disease, the more motivated you may be to make good choices and follow your treatment plan.
Eat healthy foods
Eat a balanced diet, and try to manage the amount of
carbohydrate you eat by spreading it out over the day.
- Diabetes: Counting Carbs if You Don't Use Insulin
- Diabetes: Using a Plate Format for Eating
- Diabetes: Coping With Your Feelings About Your Diet
- Quick Tips: Smart Snacking When You Have Diabetes
The dietary guidelines for good health can help everyone form healthy eating habits, including people who have type 2 diabetes. It is especially important for people with type 2 diabetes to:
- Shift from eating unhealthy saturated fats to eating healthier unsaturated fats.
- Avoid foods that contain trans fat.
- Eat less salt.
- Be careful with alcohol, which affects your blood sugar. It can make problems from nerve damage, blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight even worse. Adult women should limit alcohol to 1 drink a day with a meal. Adult men should limit alcohol to 2 drinks a day with a meal. And women who are pregnant should not drink at all.
You don't have to join a gym to get fit or be active. There are many things you can do, such as walking or even vacuuming.
- Fitness: Adding More Activity to Your Life
- Fitness: Walking for Wellness
- Quick Tips: Getting Active at Home
Test your blood sugar
The American Diabetes
Association (ADA) recommends that you keep your blood sugar levels at:1
A continuous glucose monitor, or CGM, reports on your blood sugar at least every 5 minutes, day and night. And it sounds an alarm if it sees that your levels are headed out of range.
Having a record of your blood sugar over time can
help you and your doctor know how well your treatment is working and whether
you need to make any changes.
- Home Blood Sugar Diary(What is a PDF document?)
- High Blood Sugar Record Level(What is a PDF document?)
Take medicines, if you need them
taking type 2 diabetes medicine or insulin, you will need to know
how to deal with low blood sugar and how to give yourself an insulin shot.
- Diabetes: Dealing With Low Blood Sugar From Insulin
- Diabetes: Dealing With Low Blood Sugar From Medicines
- Diabetes: Giving Yourself an Insulin Shot