5 Steps to Less Salt continued...
2. Cut Back on Condiments
Always dress your sandwiches and burgers yourself. This way, you can not only control the amounts of condiments used, you can choose those that are lower in calories, fat, and sodium, such as:
- Balsamic vinegar. 2 teaspoons has 14 calories, 0 grams fat, and 2 milligrams sodium
- Mustard. 1 teaspoon has 10 calories, 0 grams fat, and 100 milligrams sodium
- Pickle relish. 1 tablespoon has 21 calories, 0 grams fat, and 109 milligrams sodium
- Horseradish. 2 teaspoons has 4 calories, 0 grams fat, and 10 milligrams sodium
- Low-sodium light mayonnaise. 17 calories, 1.3 grams fat, and 27 milligrams sodium (the numbers may vary depending on brand).
- Lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon). 8 calories, 0 grams fat, and 1 milligram sodium
Feel free to load on all the lettuce, tomato, and onion your heart desires. Each adds 5 calories or less per serving, and is mostly sodium-free.
3. Beware of Dressings and Sauces
If you think a little bit of dressing or sauce won't add that much sodium to your meal, think again. Take a gander at some of the dressing offered at the Jack in the Box fast-food restaurant:
Creamy Southwest Dressing (71-gram serving): 1,060 milligrams sodium
Bacon Ranch Dressing (71-gram serving): 810 milligrams sodium
Asian Sesame Dressing (71-gram serving): 780 milligrams sodium
4. Opt for Alternatives
Purchase a battery-operated pepper grinder and your favorite flavor of salt-free herb and spice blend (like Mrs. Dash). Then keep them front and center on your kitchen table to help you break the habit of salting your food.
5. Forgo Fast Food
Eating at fast-food chains may be fast and cheap, but you pay the price in calories, fat, and sodium. Many fast-food items are big on sodium. The following items, at a few top chains, topped the sodium scale:
Jack in the Box
- Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger: 2,040 milligrams sodium
- Chipotle Chicken Ciabatta with Grilled Chicken: 1,850 milligrams
- Bruschetta Chicken Ciabatta Sandwich: 1,810 milligrams
- Ciabatta Breakfast Sandwich: 1,770 milligrams
- Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich: 1,700 milligrams
- Bacon Cheese Ciabatta Burger: 1,670 milligrams
- Chipotle Chicken Ciabatta with Spicy Crispy Chicken: 1,650 milligrams
- Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit: 1,430 milligrams