Other food tips
- Eat healthy snacks. These include:
- A piece of fruit with a few crackers and one piece of cheese.
- Low-fat yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese with a piece of fruit.
- A breakfast bar with a glass of low-fat milk.
- One or two carrots or stalks of celery with peanut butter or cream cheese.
- If you have a tendency to gain weight:
- Space the times you eat and drink throughout the day.
- Eat and drink slowly and don't do anything else, such as watch TV, while you are eating.
- Put your food on a smaller plate.
- Drink one 8 fl oz (250 mL) glass of water half an hour before each meal.
- Eat foods that are low in calories, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Take daily vitamins if you have not been eating a balanced diet.
- Add extra fiber to your diet by choosing whole-grain breads and cereals that have at least 2 grams of fiber in each serving and by eating cooked dry beans and legumes. Drink plenty of water, if you get constipated easily or are taking a medicine that causes constipation.
Some medicines may require you to change your diet. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about whether you may need to make changes.