Frequently Asked Questions About Weight Loss
How can I prevent regaining lost weight?
Keep the following tips in mind when losing weight:
- Set realistic weight loss goals, such as 1 to 2 pounds per week. Those who lose weight slowly, by eating less and exercising more, tend to keep their lost weight off.
- Eat fewer calories by cutting down on portions and/or decreasing the total amount of fat you eat to 30% or less of your total daily calories.
- Do not skip meals.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand, such as raw vegetables with low calorie dips, or fruit. Keep in mind it is the total amount of calories consumed that impacts the rate of weight loss. Fat-free foods may not be eaten as desired, as they are not calorie free.
- Choose foods high in fiber such as fruits and vegetables with moderate portions of whole-grain breads, cereals, and rice. These foods will give you more chewing satisfaction while the higher fiber content may make you feel fuller on fewer calories.
- To ensure you are eating healthy, keep an accurate food journal. Write down everything you eat or drink. Be honest and accurate, otherwise the journal is not as helpful. The food journal will help you learn about your eating habits and help you assess the food choices you are making.
- Eat a variety of colorful foods to get all the nutrients you need.